Reynardine Home Jugs Home Contact Us

Thomas Booth
Thomas Booth & Sons

The history of the Thomas Booth firms in Hanley is convoluted. Thomas Booth & Co. appear at the Britannia Works in one directory in 1854 and later as just Thomas Booth in 1864 and 1870. Thomas Booth also appears at the Waterloo Works in 1870. The firm then becomes Thomas Booth & Sons at the Britannia Works in 1872, but also at the New Hall Pottery between 1872 and 1879. Part of the confusion arises since Booth was a manufacturer of Britannia metal, which included making lids for jugs. Possibly the Britannia Works (note the name) was the base for the metalwork side of the business and Booth later expanded into pottery manufacture. Marked metal lids are found on jugs made by Charles Meigh, Ridgway & Abington, Cork & Edge and possibly others. Advertisements for the firms specifically list hot-water jugs, molasses jugs, and teapots amongst their products. To add further confusion, there were firms Thomas Booth & Co. in 1870-72 and then Thomas Booth & Son (singular) in 1873-76 operating the Church Bank Pottery in Tunstall. The relationship with the Hanley firms, if any, is not known. Godden lists only the Tunstall firms between 1868 and 1876; there is no mention of Hanley.

The Hanley firms registered four designs for moulded jugs in 1867, 1869, 1871 and 1875, also a teapot registered in 1870. One other undated jug has been recorded.

"Kensington"
Design registered on 10 October 1867, Parcel 1, Number 212194, by Thomas Booth of Hanley.
Marks: moulded registration diamond within circular belt inscribed “KENSINGTON / T.B. / HANLEY”. Also impressed “T. BOOTH” (uncommon)
Illustrations: Hughes 2/p.105

"Sweep Race"
Design registered on 26 May 1869, Parcel 4, number 229627, by Thomas Booth of Hanley.

Marks: moulded registration diamond within circular belt inscribed “SWEEP RACE / T.B. / HANLEY”
Illustrations: Henrywood RMJ/221-22;
Henrywood SP/78 (mark)

   

"Dresden"
Design registered on 7 June 1870, Parcel 16, number 242234, by Thomas Booth of Hanley.
Only recorded as a teapot.
Marks: moulded registration diamond within circular belt inscribed “DRESDEN / T.B. / HANLEY”
Illustrations: none

 
Not yet titled (not titled?)
Design registered on 15 July 1871, Parcel 2, Number 254030, by Thomas Booth of Hanley.
Marks: not yet known
Illustrations: Hughes 2/p.106
   
Ribbons and Tassels (not titled)
Design registered on 30 March 1875, Parcel 1, Number 290186, by Thomas Booth & Sons of Hanley. Britannia metal spout cover registered 7 September 1874.
Marks: moulded registration diamond. Also impressed “NEWHALL”.
Illustrations: Henrywood RMJ/223; Rumsey 120
 
"Greek"
Design not registered.

Marks: moulded circular belt inscribed “T. BOOTH / HANLEY” enclosing title "GREEK"
 

Credits: Max Beaumont Fine Art & Consultancy; Steve Birks (thepotteries.org); Ken Carter; Robert Hawker; Sarah Nightingale; Dreweatt-Neate, Newbury